Back when I first had Alyssa, I was a big ball of nervous. It didn't take much and I was anxious about almost everything. I wondered to myself what I would do if she cried when I was out shopping at a store, or what I would do if she needed to be fed (I nursed) when I was out at say, a restaurant.
Stuff like this ate at me a lot, and because of the fact that I'd never had any experience with babies and didn't really have many people to ask who had babies who were similar in age, I just ended up staying home a lot. Pretty sad, huh? Looking back, I really blame that funky thryoid of mine for making me be so anxious all the time. Thankfully, I found out about the hypothyroidism I had at around seven months postpartum and I was able to get the medicine I needed to feel better.
With Audrey, things got even better than the first time around and I became more confident in my skills as a mom. Every day there is a new lesson learned and I'm thankful that kids are so resilient and that I haven't messed up too bad along the way. At least I don't think I have, anyway. :)
I'm finding now that I have baby #3 that I finally feel the most confident I ever have since I became a mom five years ago. I've grown in my mommy skills and it is the most freeing feeling ever!
Nowadays when Livvie starts to fuss and needs to be fed and we're out somewhere, I just cover myself up and feed her. No more worrying about what other people will think or trying to run out to my car.
(This was us about a month ago at my sister Yvonne's birthday dinner. My Hubby snapped this shot while I was nursing)!
While looking through recent pictures today, I also found this one from Mother's Day of this year.
We were out at lunch with the family and Livvie had to eat, so I just busted out my super cute nursing cover that my friend Stephanie made for me when I first found out I was pregnant, and it was so convenient! Believe it or not, I'd never owned a nursing cover until I had Livvie! You can see a tiny bit of this one in the picture above, it's brown with polka dots. I'm really looking forward to getting a few more because they are so much more convenient than a blanket for nursing in public!
In the same file where I found the picture above, I also found this one...
It was taken on the same day at Mother's Day lunch and I was amazed to see what a difference in my face from then to now...
I was also suprised today at my first regular visit back to my primary care doctor after baby, that I'm down twenty pounds since around this time last year (Not to mention the other twenty in baby weight that I also already lost)! I'm so excited at the thought that I'm now only 15 pounds away from where I was at when I got married eight years ago!
Well, I know this sounds like a me, me, me kinda post, but today I thought I'd accentuate the positives and put this one here to remind myself of how far I've come. I woke up today feeling kinda down for no particular reason and after thinking about all the good stuff that has happened, I realized I have lots of reasons to smile! I really have come a long way!
17 comments:
You look incredible and sooo happy! Can you believe it's been 5 years since you first became a mom? It seems so second nature to you!
Oh yeah, I can definitely tell a huge difference between those pics. That's awesome and I know when you can see the changes like that, it makes you feel like the hard work was worth it! I agree on each baby getting easier too. I remember the things I used to be so strict about with Madison and then by Lily, it was like, oh whatever, she'll be fine! Ha!
Great post - very encouraging. Thank you for your advice on your comment for my post. I do feel better after receiving positive feedback from moms who had the same worries.
You're beautiful and you are a wonderful mom...you have every reason to celebrate! :-)
Beautiful you - inside and out! This is something I am working on - believing I am beautiful and that He made no mistake when He created me. So proud of you - you HAVE come a long way!
Veronica, Sorry you were feeling kinda blah today... until you started counting the ways that you have grown in confidence as a mom.
I am so proud of you...and "you look marvelous darling"!!! Congrats on the weight loss. I really need to do that!
Loved the pictures..
Love you!
Momma Linda
Great post and your are a wonderful Mom. Great job on the weight loss. I know everytime I had another child I got better at doing something.
Caroline
Awesome post! You look so super happy! Just think how confident you would be with 4 ;o)
Girl you are doing awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look wonderful and you are a fabulous mommy!
Congrats! You have made some great accomplishments. Wonderful to feel good about life and the path you are on. Your girls will be richer for it. Enjoy the day!
I loved this post! It explains so much how far you've come in mothering. And makes this rookie mama feel better about being a ball of nerves sometimes! :)
You're looking great with your weight loss, too! Go Girl!!!
Way to go! You look great! It's important to have a ME post every once and awhile. My mom always said, "IF mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." And you look so happy! Work those mama skills! :)
yeah for a me post! :) I love it! congrats to you for your confidence and your weightloss! I am 10lbs away from when we got married too. I am working my way back there!
Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this week!
Congrats to you on losing the weight and feeling more confident. That's awesome!
you look great!! and yay for nursing in public! it took me a while to feel comfortable, too, but now i really don't care. :)
i always miss your giveaways! we've been out of town, so i'm just not seeing it! boo. :)
have you ever thought about just listing a few hats on etsy every now and then? or even one at a time... whatever you have made up? just a thought. i LOVE me some etsy. :)
Great job on losing so much weight! That's awesome!! And I agree that you can more confidence as a mommy the more kids you have. :)
You are doing fantastic!!! Wow! It took me over a year to lose 20 pounds and it is just melting off of you!
After reading this I am just praying that you join MOPS (sign ups are probably NOW). I think that you will find wonderful support from a group of MOMS that have the same struggles and share in the same experiences as you do.
Hugs,
Trisha
Post a Comment