Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Getting ready for Christmas

Well, it's three days before Christmas, and unlike lots of other people, I'm not racing around to pack everything up to go somewhere else to spend the holidays.  All of our family lives here in the same town, so that makes things super easy for us.  This year, our plan for Christmas is to do what I've always done since I first met my Hubby, which is go to one of his siblings' house to spend Christmas Eve with his side of the family.  Each year, someone in the family takes turns to host Christmas, and this year it's going to be at my SIL, Marcella's house.  We usually all get together in the evening and have dinnner, hang out, play a few games, and then at midnight, the kids get to open their presents.  It's been funny to notice how over the last few years, the kids have managed to convince the adults to open presents even earlier, rather than waiting for midnight.  I actually like opening presents earlier, considering that we have small kiddos now and staying up until midnight isn't exactly my idea of fun! :)  For Christmas Day, the plan is to get together with my side of the family to have breakfast and open presents.  I am really looking forward to spending time with our family and putting the focus on what really matters.  In years past, I can recall the race to find the perfect presents for everybody on my list and spending way too much money in the process.  Since this year is a bit tighter than usual, we've had to shorten our list and get only a few gifts.  I'm not quite sure why, but it's been kinda hard for me to deal with the fact that I can't go out and buy something big for everybody this year, but that's just the way it has to be.

I've decided that since we can't go out and buy a ton of gifts, this year I'm going to try to make some homemade goodies to give as gifts.  This is my first year ever at attempting something like this, so you all will have to say a little prayer for me! :)  Over the last few days, I've been testing out a few different recipes and so far so good.  Tomorrow will be my all-day baking day, and I'm hoping I'll be able to stay focused and end up with some yummy goodies to give and not eat all of them myself in the process!

Well, sorry the pictureless post today.  My Hubby had to take the camera with him to work, so I haven't had a camera the last couple of days.  At least I got my memory card cleared out and pictures developed just in time to start fresh for Christmas!  Mamarazzi here I come!!!  I can't wait to see the smiles on the girls faces on Christmas.  I am so thankful for my little girls, and even the little one in my belly that still doesn't have a name!!!

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Good luck on baking tomorrow! I wish I could come over and "sample" them for you! :D I was laughing about you being the Mamarazzi! Ha! I think you totally have the right idea about gifts and next year I'm doing it completely different. I'm going to try and if I do buy things, buy things that benefit charities or support work at home moms. Hope you have the best Christmas ever!!!

Amy said...

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. I couldn't handle the midnight...anytime past 8:30 means cranky kids and a very cranky mommy around here :)

I have a great name for you since you went with 'A' names for your other girls...how about Amy! Ha! Just kidding with you.
Blessings,
Amy

Holly said...

Good luck making the homemade gifts. I actually think homemade ones are the best, especially the food! Yum! My fav is caramels.

He & Me + 3 said...

I hope that you have a fun day in the kitchen. I know that anything you make to give as a gift will be well received. You are so talented in so many ways. Have a blessed Christmas!
Hugs,
mimi

Stephanie said...

Have fun-I know you will!!!! :)

I have to get my butt in gear and get stuff done. I need to grocery shop/bake/finish shopping and wrap everything :) Whoo HOo it's the holidays!

Maryellen said...

Your Christmas plans sound wonderful. What a blessing to have family on both sides. The girls will have a wonderful heritage.
I'm sure you "homemade" gifts will be cherished.

Merry Christmas

Unknown said...

We shortened our list of presents too, and I am really excited about what we were able to buy and give. You have to think a lot harder when only giving someone one gift!

Good luck baking! I am sure everything will taste all yummy and have a few for the baby!!

{:miss v:} said...

I know how you feel about the not being able to give everyone you want a Christmas gift.

Two years ago, on December 4 to be exact, I quit my job, on the spot. I was a little over 2 months pregnant with Evan and I was having a unusually difficult pregnancy. The gal I was working next to wasn't making things any easier so I just decided I'd had enough and I quit. Needless to say, that tightened the purse strings significantly and we were unable to get anyone any gifts for Christmas. So what did I do? I made goodie baskets for everyone filled with cookies, treats and other things. I worked for probably 3 days straight getting everything together and in the end everything turned out so nice and I received a lot of compliments on them! It made me feel good to at least give something and even better that I made it all!

So good for you! In the end, it's the thought and love put into it that counts!

Merry (belated) Christmas!

Ps...this is the first time I've been able to get on the computer in days so that's why I'm just now commenting! hahaha!