Friday, November 13, 2009

Something to think about...

Hey all.  Just popping in really quickly to share a video that a really good friend shared with me the other day.  After watching it, I have been thinking a lot about Christmas this year and how I can make a change from the ways I'm normally used to doing things.  I urge you to watch this video and see what you can do to make a difference this Christmas. 

(Be sure to mute the music at the bottom first)! :)


7 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow, Veronica!!!! That was amazing and it gave me chills. You know, I've been thinking alot about this lately. We act like we aren't rich, but we all spend this incredible amount on Christmas, like they said, for things people don't want, like or need. Then we say we're too poor to help the needy. Jesus said that if we don't help the needy, it's like turning away from Him. It is a choice that we make and we really should be ashamed. (of course by "we" I just mean Americans in general). And we worship movie stars and singers and they have billions and I just wonder how they justify it to themselves. Because they gave away one million of their billion?

Every year I get so disgusted as I rack my brain trying to buy gifts for people and I swear I'm not going to do it the next year, because I know it's just ridiculous. I don't need anything and the people I'm buying for don't need anything either.

Okay, sorry to take over your blog. Hee hee.....I didn't realize I would get so worked up. I may just try and see if I can handmake everything this year. It's a challenge!!

I think I'll post this on mine too and check out their website. Have a great weekend! Love ya!

{:miss v:} said...

I guess I have a different take on this subject.

I don't agree that gift giving at Christmas is ridiculous. Those that go over board spending money they don't have is.

Of course people don't 'need' the things they receive, that's why they're called gifts. It's the thought and love behind the gifts that matter.

As for the needy, I believe that everyone should give either their time, money or the like to help out. But if they chose to spend their money on loved ones rather than strangers, I don't think it's fair to make them feel guilty about it.

That's my two cents! ha ha!

He & Me + 3 said...

This is one reason we started doing the 12 days of giving...we make a list of 12 nice things we can do or give this time of year because it is better to give than to receive. The kids saw first hand the blessings of giving instead of receiving last year...it was awesome. Great video.

Angie said...

What a great reminder. I have already started shopping but have made it a goal to not go over board...which I tend to do...and with the money I save by shopping sales/spreading it out to give that to our church & different programs they are sponsoring this Christmas.

Hope your doing well! And I hope your pregnancy is still going great! And those sweet girls as well - their faces are just precious!!

Much love - Ang

Linda said...

Good thoughts to dwell on at this time of the year. Reach out to others in love,...the way that Jesus did.

Giving of yourself is the best thing ever!

Love you sweet Veronica!
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Unknown said...

We are doing this as a sermon series at church!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! A couple of years ago, my family started giving money to other organizations rather than to each other - because we all had so much "stuff" that it seemed like we were all just giving each other crap (no better word) that we didn't really need. My parents still get gifts for my sister and Bruce and I, but we are all really trying to focus on other people.

That being said - I HATE the fact that Advent gets overlooked but secular consumerism. I preached yesterday at my church and I talked about entering the Advent season with a new outlook - to really focus on CELEBRATING ADVENT - and letting the joy of Christmas emerge from that. I'm sure I'll blog more about it over the coming weeks.

I'll pass the video around - thanks!!

Hope you and Baby G. are doing well!! Post some more bump pics!!

xoxo