Ten months ago I was what you'd call a blog lurker. I didn't have a blog of my own and never left comments on any blog that I read. The first blogs I ever read were just random mommy blogs without a whole lot having to do with God. It was fun reading what different people had to say and I felt like I was a part of something even though the people who's blogs I read never knew my name.
It's funny how things ended up working out when one of the blogs I read made it to some Top 50 list of mommy bloggers for the year 2008. I decided to go check out that list and that's how I came to find blogs like MckMama and Bring the Rain. It was from there that I found Big Mama which led me to Kelly's blog. As I've said here a zillion times, it's just amazing to me how meeting a total stranger via just one simple blog could change a person's life.
Over the course of the last few months, it's been amazing to come in contact with so many people from all over. I would have never imagined back at the beginning of the year that I would actually have a blog of my own. In my mind, I always thought that blogging was only for people who were popular or had these great big stories to tell. I have come to learn that you don't have to have this crazy, out there, interesting life to be able to be a part of the blogging world. Blogging is available to anyone, whether you lead a simple or extravagant life. Everyone has a story to tell, an idea to share, or even just something they want to get off their chest. And that's what I love the most about blogging.
After my post from the other day, I'm sure I rocked a few people out there. The truth is, in real life, I can be pretty opinionated and a little on the harsh side sometimes. It's something I'm not proud of but it's an area that I'm working on. I am far from perfect and I am just like anybody else who's trying to find their way and figure out what's best for their family. Most importantly, I want to make choices that I feel honor God. With all that said, I just want to say thank you to every single person who took the time to leave a comment. I really value what you have to say whether we share the same view or not. I am a firm believer that every person has the right to share what they have to say without feeling condemned.
I know my posts tend to be more like novels so I should probably stop here. I just want everyone to know that I appreciate you all. I value you and the difference you make in my life by your friendship. Please know, I am not perfect. I'm a sinner and yes I mess up a lot, but I am so thankful that the Lord knows my heart and sees me for the person I really am and still loves me! :)
P.S. I just thought I would mention that for now, my Hubby and I have decided to stick with no dressing up or Trick-or-Treating for Halloween. We've talked a lot about how things may change as our children grow and learn to make their own choices, but in the meantime, we are comfortable with this choice. As for what we'll be doing that day...My hubby and Alyssa will be passing out candy together. It's something they like to do together where Alyssa can still have fun and be kind to others!
and..just in case you think I'm some sort of mean mama who loves to deprive my kids of the most fun part of Halloween...here are some pictures to prove otherwise. We were filling up our candy bowl yesterday and Alyssa begged me for a treat. How could I resist these sweet faces?!?
One more thing I wanted to share really quickly...if you would please lift up my sweet blog friend Elisabeth up in your prayers...she and I had due dates only a couple of days apart and last Saturday Elisabeth's sweet baby boy went home with Jesus. If you'd like to visit her blog and leave her a comment, I'm sure she'd really appreciate that. Thanks so much.
11 comments:
LOVE those sweet faces!!! :)
I had to go back and read the rest of the comments from everyone. I think everyone had great points. The blogging community is awesome...I never in a million years thought I'd have a blog either, but I'm so glad I decided on a whim to do one! Because I met you is a really good reason!
I love you just the way you are.....I like that you say what you think. You shouldn't feel you have to change that or only blog about things that everyone will agree with. It's always interesting to see different viewpoints and because we're all so loving, we can discuss those things without having to worry about judgement or people being condemning.
I love Bentley's button on your sidebar....I gotta visit her Mommy's blog and get that one, especially because she's wearing the shirt I made her :)
Okay, speaking of novels....I need to work on that! Ha! I can't even leave a comment without it being 2 pages long.
Love ya!
your girls are adorable eating their candy! tonight we read "The Pumpkin Patch Parable" by Lizz Curtis Higgs. It is about a farmer who grows pumpkins. He carves them, cleans them and puts candles in them so they shine. There is scripture throughout the book that shows us how God grows us, cleans us and then He can shine through us! The girls carved pumpkins and we put candles in them so they will shine as they sit on our back deck. It was a great illustration for them. It sounds like your Saturday will be much like ours. I hope it is a wonderful day!
I am glad that you are a blogger and that you are my friend! Passing candy out will be fun and what a great lesson to teach your kids!
I don't think that you were harsh or opinionated in yesterday's post. I love that you were real. I also love that you are peace with the decision you have made for your family and are sticking with it! Everybody has to do what they feel is right according to their convictions and our job as other believer's is to support them in that. High five to you! :)
I'm glad we came across each other in the blogging land. You're an adult and can make choices for you and your family without feeling condemned over it. My daughter didn't even go door to door for candy until last year (age 3). She doesn't really know about 'halloween' because she goes to a Christian school and our church where everything is about Harvest. She loves dress up - so it's almost another day of dress up for her (with lots of extra glitter :o)
Be opinionated. Be firm. So much better then wishy washy and people pleasing :o)
I know I couldn't tell them no! So sweet!!!!!!
V - This is unrelated to Halloween but I DID see Cake Boss. And - don't make fun of me but I totally started crying when the guy proposed!! That was so sweet!!
Veronica, I totally am with you on the whole Halloween thing! I love dressing up, but I just can't get into all the witchcraft. Every now and then our church will have a costume party around this time and that will give our kids something fun to dress up for, but this year they aren't having one, so we'll just have a Harvest Fun Day or something--I've gotta get the creative juices flowing here : )
What cute little munchkins!
I'm glad you started your blog....otherwise I'd have never met you and your beautiful family!
I never imagined I'd have a blog or even get into reading blogs, but things change! lol I think it was a good change.
Blogging is a wonderful place...there is a place for everyone and it is a wonderful way to meet people and journal your life. I am so glad that we met via blogging and that you share your family and your talent with us.
Hugs to you and your two sweet girls.
Mimi
Post a Comment