Thursday, July 9, 2009

Trying to Figure Things Out and Listening for His Voice

The last few days I feel as though I'm spinning my wheels. I've been working on the last of the hat orders that came in on the last few days before I started by "break" from the hats on Monday. It's been a little slow going and at the end of every day this week, I've been feeling like I haven't gotten that much accomplished. I know I have a tendancy to get in these weird little funks, so I guess this really isn't anything new.

In all honesty, I think I've just spent a ton of time working on hats these last few months and I've spent little time doing some of the other things I probably should be doing. I hate to sound like I'm complaining, because I am so grateful for the unexpected blessing that turned into my little hat business. I know I have probably talked this topic to death, but I have come to love the fact that I have this blog to record my thoughts and my life. It's almost like it's become a form of therapy.

Looking back to January, I remember being a somewhat lonely SAHM. I felt so blessed to be able to stay home with my girls, but at the same time, I felt lonely. It's funny how after you quit working, the people you thought were your friends slowly stop calling and/or coming around. Being a SAHM can be somewhat isolating if you let it. I am so thankful for all that's happened since January and the opportunity to start this blog and meet so many sweet people. I am even more grateful for the handful of people I've met that have become close friends. You guys are the ones who keep me going when I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing. I know I sound a little all-over-the-board today but I just wanted to get all of this out.

Another thing I've been thinking about is what direction I'll be going in when I start back with my hats in September. In all honesty, the hats I make are very simple. I am not a fancy designer with endless creativity. I'm just a mommy who's blessed to make a little extra money doing something I love to do.

I think my main concern for my hats is just trying to figure out what direction to go in from here. I want to come up with something new and fun that I can add to what I'm doing already. I'm also thinking about changing the focus of the hats from being solely custom orders, to making a ton of styles and colors I already know people like and then just listing them on my hat blog.

My prayer is that in the next few weeks I'll be able to figure out what direction the Lord wants me to go in concerning the hats. I know the Lord wouldn't have opened up this door just to leave me stranded and directionless. I want to hear His voice clearly and do things that honor him, not things that honor Veronica.

Well, I'd better get going for the day. It's almost 10:00 a.m. here and I should probably get ready for the day:)

P.S. I wanted to mention really quick that today is Day 1 of taking the next lowest dose of my thryroid medication (88 mcg of levothyroxine). I'm praying that my body will continue to do well and that the Lord's will will be done with my thyroid situation.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

To you, your hats are simple, but there isn't anywhere I've been yet with the girls wearing their hats that we haven't gotten compliments and people asking where we got them. They are precious and I had never seen anyone around here wearing anything like them, so I feel priviledged to have some "Veronica" hats! I think whatever direction you decide to go, even if you don't change a thing, is going to be great, because you are so talented. I'm telling you, your hats are one-of-a-kind and just so precious. I wish my girls could wear them to school, but they don't allow hats at school :(

I know you'll figure it all out. I hope your medicine works out too!

Unknown said...

I think you are honoring God by thinking of His will first, before yours! I love your hats, and if Molly would keep one on, I would totally get one in every color! I think listing a bunch would be good. You are right when you said God would not leave you stranded. Have a good break!

Linda said...

Hi Veronica,...Just a quick note to say I prayed for you!

The Lord loves you sweet girl,...and so do I.

Love the song that is playing on your blog right now. No sweeter name than the name of Jesus! Amen

Linda

MamaBird Jentes said...

Hi again!

I hope you hear the answers you're listening for during your soul-searching. And that you are able to relax and just enjoy during your break!

As for the hats themselves, I was taught a acronym in a college communications class that I often revert to: K.I.S.S. Stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid." Not that I'm calling you stupid--that's just the saying!

Your hats are just precious as is. (And not as easy to make as you think. I wanted to try to make one myself for Grace, but my crocheting friend couldn't figure out how you made the lovely hats of yours that we have.) Good idea about stockpiling hats, though. Ever consider selling them at a craftshow or bazaar? You could even host a holiday hat open house for friends and neighbors in Nov or Dec where you have light refreshments and oddles of hats on display to buy for Christmas or baby gifts.

The possibilities are endless!

Also, hope your thyroid continues to behave.

Take care!

Stephanie said...

I think no matter what decision you make with your hats they are going to be successful! They're awesome and we absolutely love ours!!!!!!!!

Praying for you hon!!!!

Elisabeth said...

I too have been blessed by your business! If you go to my blog I'll explain the newest excitement (I'd do it here so you wouldn't have to turn over there but I just don't want to type it twice).

I can't wait to order more! I hope you continue with your business as I know its been a blessing to so many!

I love Alyssa's lite brite I loved those when I was younger!

Stephanie said...

Your hats truly are precious! What a blessing that you can stay home with your girls and do a little something extra on the side. That's what I love about my Etsy shop. There's no greater job, to me, than being a mom. That is my number one priority and my little business is just something extra that I enjoy doing. Plus, I love being able to make things for my children. I'll be praying for God to direct your path and that you would clearly know and understand His calling for you. Also praying for the thyroid situation...for healing!