How many of you out there struggle with happiness? I know I can say that I'm one of those people. Looking from the outside, I know I have the life that should cause me to be happy. God has truly blessed me...I have a wonderful and hardworking hubby, two beautiful (if I do say so myself) and healthy children. I am also blessed to be able to be a SAHM, I have a roof over my head, and clothes on my black. I could go on and on. I have no doubt that God has had his hand upon my life, yet at times I really struggle with happiness.
Today we made it out to church. As I've talked about in the past, we are in the process of finding a new home church. It has been hard for us to get out there and step out of our comfort zone to meet new people. It's especially hard for my Hubby, who is very private and reserved. Today was our fourth Sunday at the new church we've been visiting. I've really enjoyed this new church so far. The people are so nice and they have a very inviting and relaxed atmosphere. When you go there, you don't have to worry about dressing up in your fancy "church clothes." It's actually common to see people dressed casual in just jeans and a t-shirt. This is a new kind of environment to me since everywhere else I've attended, you have to get dressed up for a Sunday service. I also like how there are several other young couples with small children like ours. What I've enjoyed the most is the sermons. Today at church, the pastor talked about happiness, of all things. This message really hit home because happiness is something that I struggle with. I don't know exactly why I have such a hard time with happiness but I guess it's just part of the enemy's plan to get me down and keep me there.
You all know I could go on but I thought I would just share a few of the things they talked about today. I found all of them so helpful, and I'm planning on putting these things into action the next time I feel unhappiness creeping in.
Hints to choosing joy
1) Make a joy list
2) Appreciate everything
3) Laugh when you don't want to
4) Shift your focus (LIVE here, LOOK there!) ("There" referring to heaven)
5) Get a joy strategy
I also liked the verse they left us with...
Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV)
11 I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13. I can do everything through him who gives me strenth.
Well, I'm glad that we had a great time at church today. I had been praying last night that when I went to church today, there would be a word there just for me. Today was a great confirmation of that! Just this morning I wasn't sure where the Lord wanted us to be and I was even thinking about trying out a new church today. I am glad that we went back because besides the great sermon, we finally got to meeting some new people. How awesome is that!
I wanted to end with sharing a song that we sang today but I couldn't figure out how to add a video from You Tube onto my post. You know I'm still new at all this blogging stuff! Oh well. The song was by Hillsong and it's called Mighty to Save. I just love the words. I had been struggling with getting into the praise and worship because I didn't know any of the songs since we've been out of church so long. I am so glad they sang this one today! Happy Sunday, and thanks to all of you who have been praying for us. We appreciate it and we feel your prayers!
P.S. I am so thankful for my new blogging friend Kristin. We are like twins separated at birth, I tell you. You have to go to her blog to check out her post today. I live in CA and she lives in TX but talk about God having the same thing in mind for us both today! I was just blown away!
7 comments:
OMG!!! You have no idea how much I am laughing with joy inside!! I want to cry, I want to laugh, I am smiling the biggest smile of my life! I could go on and on, but is this AMAZING or what??!! If that isn't confirmation that we serve a big and mighty God, I don't know what is. This is definitely going to be my Memory Lane post this week, because I want many people to witness this! I just cannot believe it Veronica!
I was like "Oh, that's cool" when you described your church much like the one I described, then I was freaking out a little when you talked about the message being from Phillipians, then I about had a heart attack when I got to the "Mighty to Save" part!!
I think the Lord is trying to tell us something! He's listening to us. Here we are, praying for each other, and he delivers us both almost the same exact church experience. Wow!
I am completely blown away too! I'm going to go ahead and update my blog, but I'm going to re-visit it on Wednesday's walk too, just as a testimony!
Love ya girl!
Kristin
So happy you had a wonderful day and got what you needed out of the sermon. Awesome!
HI Veronica! Guess who, Its your sister in law. Yes, I finally had time to get on your blog and leave a comment. I am so glad you guys are going to church! I have been going too...when God is first everything always works out! NO MATTER WHAT. I loved Alyssa's and audrey's video. I am going to have to come and pick her up this week. See you later Love Isabel
I am always in awe of the beautiful ways that God works in our lives...He cares so much about the "details."
Don't let that enemy get you down sister! I know that sounds trite, but I'll be praying for you!
Veronica, I am Linda,... Lynnette Kraft's (Dancing Basrefoot) mom, and Kristin's blogger friend. I just had to write and say how wonderful it is to see how God is giving us all blessings, and working on our lives in such special ways.
I am glad that you have found a friend in Kristin,...and she a friend in you.
God is good,... all the time!
Keep on writing. I love how real you are!
Blessings!
Linda
Veronica,
You have to head over to Lynnette's blog today because she decided to feature my blog on her "getting to know you" thing today! You know how much I wanted everyone to hear about our story and how great God has been to us, so this is just another great gift from Him! I'm so excited!!
Have a wonderful day today!
Kristin
Hello Veronica,
LOVED your post! What an awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing! I believe that we have all struggled with finding happiness at one time or another, especially as women. I loved your list of hints on how to find joy!!!
I pray that you are placed at the right church in order to grow with other believers. May God continue to bless you and your family!
Daphine
Post a Comment