Sunday, July 24, 2011

Finding myself again

Back when I was a little girl, I was a huge reader.  I loved reading and that carried into adulthood until I became a Mom and then reading, especially for pleasure, well...it pretty much took the back seat.

When I got pregnant with Alyssa, I got my hands on a ton of books to help prepare me for being a Mom.  Sadly though, What to Expect When You're Expecting and The Nursing Mother's Companion (my two favorite baby books) where pretty much the extent of my reading reperatoire for the the last six years or so.

And then recently, some things have changed.

Life is getting settled again; we're done moving, the girls are growing (the baby is already 15, almost 16 months now) and I'm finally getting a little freedom back and it feels good!

Ironically, what's gotten me back into reading was actually TV!  I'm not a big TV watcher, but one night, my Hubby convinced me to sit and watch the Twilight Saga with him as it ran non-stop on Showtime and I was hooked!  Believe it or not, I'd never seen any of the Twilight movies before and I was surprised to find that I actually liked them!

After watching all three Twilight movies, I thought it would be fun to read the books and I remembered that one of my nieces was a huge Twilight Fan back when the movies came out and owns all the books. When I was at her house last Monday, I borrowed the first book and started reading it immediately.  It was so good that I found it hard to put down!  Instead of spending my spare time on the computer, like I normally would,  last week I read. In between chores and the usual stuff with the girls, I read.  And then I read, and read some more, until Saturday afternoon when I finally finished the book!

image courtesy of Amazon.com
I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed reading this much, but I'm excited about getting back into it! The funny thing for me is that it took me reading a book about vampires (something I totally thought I'd never be interested in) to get me back into something I've always loved.

Anyhow, what I'm even more excited about is something else reading related! My in real life blog/MOPS friend, Shannon from The Mommy-Files (she has an awesome blog with TONS of reviews/giveaways that you have to check out if you haven't already) has recently started up a book club!

I've never been a part of a book club before, so I'm really looking forward to the chance to combine two of my loves: reading and hanging out with friends!  We start our meetings next month and our first book is this one...
image, again, courtesy of Amazon.com
Has anyone else read this book or been part of a book club?  I'd love to hear more about anyone else's experiences with book clubs and what you do to make them fun!

8 comments:

Lindy said...

I love to read. I've never been part of a fiction book club, but my sister was and loved it. I want to see the movie for "The Help" but maybe I should read it first! My favorite books recently are easy fiction reads about crocheting mysteries! Enjoy it. It always feels nice to get a part of you back!

Becca said...

After watching the first Twilight movie, I turned to the books because I had to find how it all ended. I WAS and still am HOOKED! I cannot wait until the final two movies are released! Oh and with you and Kristin being such great friends, I am disappointed in her that she didn't have you reading those books before now!!!

But yes, I love to read. And like you just so much has been going on lately that I haven't found the time. I did check out a few books from the library the other day that I am enjoying during naptime though!

Kristin said...

Haha, Becca! :D After reading this post, it made me realize that reading the Twilight books is what got me back into reading again too! They were the first books I read and I haven't stopped reading since! I haven't ever been a part of a book club.....I don't really enjoy fiction that much, but I am dying to be a part of a bible study, like where we could read a book/study and meet. I hope you have lots of fun at your book club!

Holly said...

I LOVE TWILIGHT!!! Love the books and the movies!! I'm so surprised you hadn't seen or read the books/movies already! I just reread the series for the 3rd time and it's still as good as the first time!

I haven't read The Help but I have heard it is good. My exmanager gave me the book and it's still at work so maybe I should just read it!

Angie said...

The Help was Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I was sad when I was done reading it!!! love loved it!!

I am also a diehard twilight fan (especially of the books!) I saw a preview for Breaking Dawn part 1 this past weekend when we went to the movies and it looked soooo good!!

Hope your doing well, I do like your new design :)

Amanda said...

Yes, read The Help! I am from Jackson,MS where it is set, and it is an eye-opening, wonderful read. You will not be able to put it down b/c you get so attached to the characters.

I just read The Glass Castle, another book club favorite. Fascinating book.

I am not in a book club, but love to pick the brains of my friends who are so I can make good selections! Reading time is so limited these days:)
Amanda

Misti said...

First of all, Hi! I'm not sure if I've ever commented before. ;)

I love the Twilight series. I've also read "The Help" and it is SO GOOD!

I love to read & have been trying to keep track of what I've read this year, so I started doing a blog post each month listing them.

HappyascanB said...

Loved the twilight books! And The Help was awesome!!!! I love to read and miss reading as much as I did before Molly. There is just something so comforting about getting lost in a book to me.

France Rivers, Redeeming Love is one of my all time favorites, by the way. Great book!!