Over the last few days, I've been doing a lot of thinking. Blogging has become one of the biggest parts of my life over the past year. It's been such a blessing to "meet" and become friends with some amazing women.
In spite of all of that, there is another element to blogging that I don't love so much, the one that makes you start to see it as a popularity contest, instead of an opportunity to just be yourself and write about the things you love. Sometimes its hard to be real when you know others are reading what you're writing. You want to be sure to write about things that interest other people and avoid the things that might be important to you if you think they might bore others.
I've come to the realization that I've been going in a direction with my blog that I really don't want to be going. I've been lettting it stress me out too and that totally defeats the purpose for why I blog. I want to be able to look back and see where I was at a certain time in my life in all of it's glory or non-glory. I want to be real, I want to be honest and most of all, I want to be a good friend that isn't just taking but giving back and forming genuine friendships. Ones that go beyond being just a "follower" of someone's blog.
So with all that said, if you notice some changes around here, just know they're coming from a place of me just wanting to be real instead of trying to be something I'm not.
----------------------------------------------------
On a completely different note, I just had to mention something awesome that happened to me the other day. On Friday, I posted on my Facebook how I was wanting to know if anyone had any suggestions for baby carriers that they loved. I've been wanting to get a new one for when Alivia comes because I really didn't like the way my last one worked out. Of the girls who left me a comment, everyone pretty much suggested the same thing, the Moby wrap.
I'd heard of Moby wraps before, but have never personally owned one. Well, as it turns out, I ended up getting an email from my sweet bloggy friend Amanda telling me that she had recently won a Moby wrap in a giveaway and wanted to give it to me!!! Isn't that so cool? I am so excited and can't wait to use it! Amanda just blogged about it today, so if you want, you can go HERE to read more about it on her blog!
Thanks so much, Amanda!!! You are so sweet and I'm so blessed to be able to call you my friend! Love ya!
19 comments:
Veronica, I totally agree! I used to feel pressure about topics or because I hadn't updated, etc. and then I finally realized-well, I guess it's more important to live the life first so that I can tell about it later! I appreciate your honesty and think it's the best part of reading other's blogs! Your little one will be here so soon! :)
How cool is that! I bought one at Target when I had Eli but I could NOT for the life of me figure it out. I took it back. LOL! I've always admired wraps and carriers and so wanted to be a baby wearing/hands free mama but I just don't know how to use them. So I am a baby wearing/one hand free mama. HA!
That is so awesome Veronica and such a blessing.
Yay for Moby wraps! What a sweet surprise for you! And I totally understand what you said about being you instead of someone you're not. My hubby asked me the other day if my blog was going to get big and I said I don't want it to. I started it to blog about my family and as a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I feel pressured to blog EVERY day now that I have more readers, but then I remember that my priority is my family - that's why it's called The Hanes FAMILY Chronicles. So this week I'm trying to get caught up on posting pictures and updates on my family and I want to continue sharing what God does in my heart, because those are the important things. The reviews/giveaways are fun too, but I don't ever want them to be my focus or an obsession. Anyhow...I look forward to reading more of YOU, because that's why I love you and your blog!
Well Ver...you know my opinion on blogging. I decided to get out of bloggyland, because of that. My blog is a scrapbook for my boys & I wanted it to stay that way & not get "caught up" in followers, etc. I do miss the community, but there's no pressure anymore.
Just be yourself. :) Love ya!
I love your blogging and love you! I am very blessed to have had the oppurtunity to get to know you!
By the way I love the pictures below of the birthday party, too cute!!!
Veronica -
I have a heartfelt "Amen!" to your post about blogging and the popularity thing. I see that in Blogland too, and have kept my original purpose of blogging pretty firm as well.. and only when I can write also.. that could be a stress for some.
I loved, loved, loved your party of pink and black! I love themes for parties and have so much fun too creating things like that.
Everything was sooooo pretty!
BTW- My SIL just bought a MOBY and she is raving about it!
~september
Today was the 1st time I actually heard of the wrap while flipping through a magazine at the Dr. office. Let me know how you like it. I have one of those 6-way carriers but don't plan on using either in thesummer since it will be so hot here in TX!
I love your blog, but totally understand not being able to be real 100% of the time. I'm looking forward to your future blogging!
And LOVE the party decor below! Great job! And you look exactly like your mom!
I think that is awesome that Amanda did that for you.....I am praising God because I know He has been providing for you every step of the way and it is so awesome to see! He loves you and so do we! And I know what you mean about blogging. I hate the popularity contest part of it that tries to draw you in. I can't even write what I'm feeling on mine anymore because of the fear that it will be a local gossip fest here in my town. :( I've been really bummed about that lately too. Maybe I need a secret blog. Hahaha!
so true!! i started a new job (i will blog about it soon!) so i have been swamped. finished the wreath, no just need the canvas. promise it won't be too much longer!!! i am trying!!
Congrats on the Moby Wrap. How exciting. I found you on Amanda's post about the Moby and I'm glad I did. I can't wait to read more of your posts. Consider me your newest follower. :)
Very good! I agree with everything you said. Like I had in my post today, I lost 2 followers, but I enjoy my life and what I write about, so oh well - that's all that matters! I'd rather have 20 followers who actually read my blog and left comments and develop a friendship with them, then to have 500 followers that aren't genuine. As I said in my email to you, I'm planning on changing things up a bit in mine too!
Now, onto the moby wrap! LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I have 4 types of slings and this is by far my favorite. I have never had a sore back even after wearing it for over 2 hours at the zoo. Also, I can still carry Scout around in it at 23 pounds and it isn't uncomfortable. You can do so many positions from infancy on up! Totally worth the 40 or 45 bucks!
you will LOOOOOVE the moby wrap!!!! it is by far one of our best purchases for austin! and she really loves it too!
I just read about it on Amanda's blog...how cool for you!
I agree...blog for you!
My friend used the Moby wrap with her son, and she absolutely loved it!! But she did say it took a lot of practice to know how to "wrap" it and hold the baby!
I know the feeling you are going through with your blog. My life is all about my kids and grandkids. That's it. Sometimes I worry that it bores people but THAT'S ME!
YAY! I love my Moby Wrap! It's so versatile! I wish that I had it with my first two! It makes life so much easier. And by the way, when you find that you really need a second (like one just to keep in the car or one to wear, one to wash), just go buy about 5-5 1/2 yards of cotton knit fabric and cut it in half lengthwise. With the knit fabric you won't even have to hem the edges. So-o-o easy (and cheap too)!
I'll be praying for you and your blog decisions.
The only way that blogging is fun for me at all is if I just post what I want to, whatever is on my heart or going on in my life that I want to keep recorded. I have never let it make me feel as if I am trying to be something different that who I am. Most of my posts are hardly ever directed to anyone in particular. They are just me sharing me. I try to keep it to the original reason why I started blogging and that was to find a place to share what was on my heart and what God was doing in me and my family. It makes is fun and easy. I feel no pressure to be anyone but me. And the blogs that I enjoy reading the most are the ones where others are just sharing their lives too. Keeping things real is so very important, otherwise, life becomes difficult and loses the joy of what we are even doing because it loses its true purpose. Go for being you!!! It is the best way to live!! I am excited to see what you do and where you go with your new direction here. :)
I bet you love the moby. I already stopped by Amanda's and saw that she had blessed someone with this. It is so much fun to bless others. Hope you have a great week.
I know I like it best when people are real. It can be easy for blogging to become about being popular. I know that I blog for me and my friends and family so that they can keep up with what's going on with us.
I have a custom made wrap that I loooove. It's pretty much like a Moby.
i read your post the other day but didn't have the proper time to comment. first off...i can't wait for you to get your moby. :0)i sent it out on tuesday priority, so hopefully by today or tomorrow it gets to you!! i'm so anxious for you to get it. it's funny when i was sending it out i got to share with the postal worker what i was getting to do and it blew her and her co-worker away. so it's fun to see us being able to spread the 'goodness' around and praying it tugs on someone else's heart to do something as well. god is SO cool.
for the blogging. SO get it. it's interesting to me to see a few less followers on my sidebar when i post a more 'real' post. but i don't care. and we shouldn't care. i love your blog because you are so real. and i love reading real. you can see through the fake-ness or 'routine-ness' of the blogs that are that way. and they're not as fun. you can tell they're hiding something. not saying 'we' have to share everything, but being real is good. and i'm excited to see what your blog becomes because of it. i think sometimes people can get hooked on oohhhh look they have five bajillion followers...i want that. but do you? really? because with a big 'following' usually you get big meanies. i'd rather have friends reading then big meanies. and now i'm rambling. and should just do my own blog post. lol. love ya girl!!
Post a Comment