On Saturday night when we got home from our trip, I was so excited to see that I had received a package. It was from my friend Steph. Steph lives in Arkansas, but she recently took a trip to Washington, D.C., a place I have never personally been to but would love to visit one day. Anyhow, while she was in D.C., Steph picked up a few things and decided to do a fun little giveaway on her blog. Well, the story gets even longer in there somewhere, but the short version is that Steph emailed me not long after posting about her giveaway and told me that she wanted to send me all of the D.C. stuff. I was so excited!
Here are the things that I won...


I was so excited when I opened up the package and saw all that she had sent, but this last item took the cake...
I was dying with laughter when I saw that she had sent me a can of Rotel! I don't think I've ever mentioned the story behind Rotel here on my blog. I guess it's become more of an inside joke between me and a couple of friends. It started off one day a few months back when I asked if anyone might be able to share with me any of their favorite recipes. I had been losing inspiration in the cooking department and needed a little help. As it turned out, a super sweet gal named Marci, who ordered a hat for me, decided to send me some awesome recipes with her payment for the hat she had ordered. It was so cool to receive the recipes but there were a few ingredients in a couple of the recipes that I had never heard of before. One of them was Rotel.Well, fast forward to when I met my super sweet friend Kristin in this great blogging adventure. On the day we first talked on the phone I just had to ask her what in the world Rotel was, since here in CA, Rotel is something we know nothing about. Kristin thought it was just hilarious that I had no clue what it was, but then explained to me that it was basically just a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies. She also explained that it was pretty much an item that you will find in EVERY Southern kitchen. There have been jokes over the last few months about me getting my hands on a can of Rotel, just to see what all the hype was about. What was so special about it anyways?
Well, last night I decided to use the Rotel to make Mexican Chicken using a recipe that Kelly posted about last week, and guess what? It was sooo good! What's so funny is that here in CA we actually do have tomato and green chili combos available here, but there is just something a little different about the flavor in Rotel. I, of course, had to add to the recipe some of the yummy seasoning I always talk about and it turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself!
Here's what dinner looked like last night...

Dinner turned out to be a bit hit and everybody here in my house loved it, even my picky eaters who really don't like eating tomatoes! I would definitely say that my attempt to be a Southern girl was a success!
If you're interested in getting the recipe, you can get it here at Kelly's Recipe Blog!
17 comments:
Ha!! I love this post. We know Rotel all to well in our household. ;) And yes, the recipe Kelly posted has been a regular in our dinner menu for a few years now and it is by far one of our favorites!!! So Yummy, now you have me wanting some King Ranch Chicken tonight. YUM YUM!!! =)
And that was so sweet to send those things to you, that's awesome!!
That's awesome! So glad that you have finally been able to experience Rotel! :)
Such a funny post!! I love cooking with Rotel and I am so glad that you have finally been introduced :)
It does look yummy. I have never heard of it either...so don't feel too bad.
Okay, so I love it! I love that you didn't know what it was, you are so sweet! It does taste yummy! Mix Rotel with Velveeta Cheese and you'll have a great dip too!
GIRL! I can't believe you have never seen, heard of or had Rotel. It's the BEST stuff ever! I LOVE adding it to my recipes, making yummy cheese-dip and all sorts...I am glad you have tasted it--let me know if you ever need any and I will ship you up some, Lord knows I have TONS in my pantry! HA!
Love ya and LOVED this post!
Ha ha ha!!!! This is hilarious! Since we are basically the same person, I knew you had some Southern down in you somewhere! LOL!! I'm with everyone else, I have no clue how to make cheese dip any other way than Velveeta and Rotel! I'm glad you enjoyed your Southern dinner :) Now, you just need to take a trip down here!
Wow! That looks SOOOO good! It looks like it is nice and spicy.
:0)
We have rotel in Ohio. But we buy the store's house brand. You might be able to find something like it where you live since alot of people use it as a base for salsa. It's in the canned tomato section.
Do you have an aldi's around where you live?
Hope everyone is doing well Hugs
And hugs to Alyssa and Audrey!
I have Rotel in Southern Ca. (Orange County). All our grocery stores carry it. My old MOPS group used it ALL THE TIME in egg casseroles. It's yummy!
Trisha
I so needed a laugh today, I love it. It was on Kelly's blog that I read that you never heard of Rotel!!! Glad to know the whole story!! But I am with Kristin, you now need to make a trip to the south!!! Glad you enjoyed it. I love the seasoning, when I run out I may have to ask for more in exchange for more rotel!!! Till next time, Steph
Too funny about Rotel - I have used it before, but like you had to question someone after I read it on a recipe... :)
Sounds like you enjoyed the time away with your hubby - what a great idea! I do have to say I am soooooo missing CA right now!! Even with the clouds in the pictures! And I am sure it was "cold" :)
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! I know what you mean about taking things for granted- my whole perspective on life and doing that same thing has completely changed!
I agree- I do not know how others can survive tragedy and the daily ins/outs of life without God. He does give me so much hope and I am so thankful that He is with me. Thank you so much for your prayers, I so appreciate them!
And thank you for joining me on this journey - the more prayers and friends made along the way helps every bit!
Love the whole thing behind the Rotel. I've never had it. Prolly not my cup of tea.
i'm a midwesterner. have never heard of rotel either!! but i do have some wildtree spanish rice seasoning that'd go yummy with your meal. lol. :0) i just wanted you to know how blessed i am by you! k? k. good. :0) loves you!!
HA!! Don't worr,y I had never heard of Rotel before moving to the south!! It's not a kitchen staple in Connecticut, that's for sure!!
Veronica, We use Rotel here in Kansas. I like to put it in with shredded beef and sauteed onions then roll it up in tortillas, with sourcream, lettuce and tomatoes as toppings. (Or you can put them inside with the meat mixture). Yummo!
Loved the picture of your meal.
Love you!
Linda
That's so funny!!!!! We use rotel all the time...guess I never stopped to think that it is not readily available all over the world :)
Post a Comment