Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Growing Girl



So on Saturday, my Audrey girl turned 13 months old. She is doing well and at her 12 month check-up (you know, the one I had to reschedule since I missed the original one, which then caused it to be more like a 13 month check-up ) she weighed in at 22 lbs 8 oz. She is definitely a big girl! She's still fitting into 18 months clothing but is also into a few 24 months items as well. She is pretty much the same size that Alyssa was at this age as well.

Which brings me to my next thought. For all you moms out there who have more than one child, are you also always comparing your children to one another? I have found myself constantly saying, Well, Alyssa was doing such-and-such by this age already. I don't know why I'm always feeling the need to compare Audrey to Alyssa, but I find myself doing it all the time. For example, Alyssa started walking at 13 months. To some people, that is right on time, as far as baby timelines go. Others would say that she was a little late to walk. I know I shouldn't worry about these types of things, especially since I am not a first time mother, but I have started to worry about Audrey a little. I know full well that she is healthy and everything is great, yet I'm wondering why she has no desire to walk. She'll let me walk her while I hold both of her hands, and she's totally walking along side the furniture, but when it comes to attempting any steps alone, forget it! She'd rather crawl at lightning speed than try walking. I am always having to remind myself that every child goes at their own pace.

On the other hand, when it comes to talking, she's totally advancing. With Alyssa, we used Baby Sign language to help her tell me what she needed. With Audrey...forget it! She wants nothing to do with signs. The fact that I talk a lot must be rubbing off on her, because she is constantly saying new words and is bypassing the need for signs! I sometimes think I'm hearing things, but then I remember back to when she was five months old and she was already saying "Ma." What is so funny to me is that all of these new words are coming at once. For the longest time, all she said was Mom or Mama, and Dada. And then the next thing I knew, she started saying "Cheese." This girl loooooooves cheese, so I guess it was appropriate that cheese word be her first real word aside from Mom and Dad!!! Just in these last couple of weeks, she's also started saying juice, cup, something that sounds like Essa (for Alyssa), Aaaj (for Audrey), yes, hi, and bye, just to name a few.


Another funny thing about Audrey...she totally loves music. I mean, loves it! Where ever we are, she will stop what she's doing and start swaying side to side when she hears music playing. Maybe this is a sign that she'll be musically inclined. Who knows?

Well, I know I'm all over the board today, but guess I just want to get all of this down so I won't forget all of the little details of when she was small. The time just goes way too fast and before you know it they're big! Come to think of it, I guess I really shouldn't be in any rush to get her to the next step. She can be my baby as long as she wants!!!

7 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

She is so cute. I wouldn't rush her to walk...that just means you have to have another set of eyes. LOL
I compare the children too, but not in a bad way, just as a gage for when they start doing different things.
We too used sign language with our kids, it really helped them to talk early.
They do grow up way too fast. Enjoy every minute. I sure wish I was blogging when my kids were that young.

Joyeful said...

Oh, she's adorable! And she is really talking well!! My twins are both sooo different. They started walking at 12 months, (but I have a friend whose baby didn't walk till 15 mos--so no worries ^_^), but as far as language development-they're night and day! Boss Man says all kinds of words (but they're still a bit hard to understand!) and the only words Sweetness has said are "Mamma" and "butt"!

I"ve got to go check out your hat blog--the hats just look adorable!

Stephanie said...

I think they do things when they are ready for it. I compare all the time but they are never the same as the last and it'll happen. I tell ya though...after having babies in the past and knowing that Allie is our last one I have not questioned it so much because I want her to stay little as long as possible!!!!

Kristin said...

I just think she's the cutest thing ever!! I wouldn't worry about the walking....she'll do it when she's ready. I find myself comparing mine too. Like Lily will be 3 in August and she has absolutely no desire to even sit on her potty, much less use it. My other 2 were already trained by now. Lily is huge compared to my others too. She's almost 3, but wearing size 5T!! She's just a big girl. She has always loved music too.

It gets really tricky once they get in school. I can already see Kaylee comparing herself to Madison and we would never do that, but kids seem to know where they stand in comparison to others. I just try to play up their own individual talents and let them develop those. But, Kaylee just wants to be like her big sister in everything. They are very different though, so it's fun to see where their natural talents are.

Angelica said...

It's hard not to compare. My kids are 5 years apart. Girl and Boy. While my daughter started walking at 10 months my son has yet to hold his bottle! So this sort of gives me an idea on how late he might be in walking. HA! But, he may surprise me. He also didn't start rolling from back to belly until a month ago while my daughter started much earlier. I have found that they are different...in ALL aspects. He is much more vocal right now then she was but man...she is quite the chatter box now!

Your Audrey is precious!

Julie said...

I think it's fun to compare their size and stuff while they're little. Don't worry about the walking...Trevor had no desire. He was 15 months old before he stood on his own & walked. He's always had his "timing."

Jamimania said...

Awww... what a little sweetie. It's true that babies progress at different paces. My kids were nothing alike. My daughter began potty training at 9 months - completely potty trained by about 14 months - and my son was still not completely potty trained at nearly age 3. It's hard not to compare them... and you'll never be able to stop. ha ha. My kids are teenagers and now I compare their study habits, level of responsibility, etc. I annoy myself. :) Don't worry, once your little doll starts walking and getting into everything you'll wish she wasn't mobile. :D Isn't being a momma wonderful? I just love every stage of it. Enjoy your babies while it lasts... goodness they grow up fast. I figured out today that my first born graduates high school in 4 weeks. Do you know how fast 4 weeks goes? *sigh* A new season.