Friday, April 17, 2009

My daughter, The Beaver

Hope everyone is having a Happy Friday! I just had to share something so funny today. It's about my Audrey girl.

I have gotten into the routine of putting Audrey down for naps and bedtimes while she's drowsy but still awake. It's my feeling that children need to learn how to put themselves to sleep. I did this with Alyssa and it seemed to work out well. Now that she's almost four, I am so glad that I did this, because I don't have to do anything fancy to help get her to sleep. We read, say prayers and then I close her blinds and tell her it's "mimi" time.

Audrey has taken to putting herself to sleep a lot easier than Alyssa did. With Alyssa there was a lot of crying involved back when I started teaching her to fall asleep on her own. For Audrey that's really not the case. I lay her down and she talks to herself for a while and before I know it, she's out. When she wakes up, she's usually pretty calm too. I hardly ever hear her cry when she wakes up. In fact, mostly everytime she wakes up, she'll just start talking to herself. Sometimes I give it a while before I go in her room to get her up from a nap, and I'll just let her talk to herself for a couple of minutes.

Well, imagine my surprise when I walked in her room one day last week to find this...
I could not believe my eyes! I know I hadn't left her in her room that long after she woke up. How could she have done that much damage to her crib in so little time? And then I got to thinking that she probably had done that right before she fell asleep for her nap in the first place. My daughter had turned into a beaver!!! I should have gotten a picture of her in her crib that day but I didn't. I asked her what happened and pointed to the damage, and of course she smiled!!! I wanted to be mad but I obviously couldn't. Would you be able to be mad at a little face like this?
Well, for the meantime, I have resorted to putting tape on the crib rail until I can figure out what else to do. I think I may need to go down to Babies R Us and see if they have some sort of rubber guard to put over the crib rail. I'm so bummed, because I like the things we own to stay nice. Besides that, this crib was supposed to last for a while. It had already made it through Alyssa and I was hoping that if we had one more it would last for that baby too. I guess Audrey had other plans!!!

6 comments:

The Pifer's said...

HAHA, this made me laugh :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Cute title...My last one did this too the crib too. Thank goodness he was my last and I was able to get rid of the crib after that:) she is so cute!

Stephanie said...

They sell a rail guard at Babies R Us or even Walmart would have it I would think. Allie does the same thing...those teeth are strong :) and no I could not resist that face!

Joyeful said...

Oh no, that is funny though! I better go look at my crib rails....

Linda said...

Veronica, I am glad they stopped using lead paints on cribs. (I assume the stain/or paint is safe)
But that was my first concern. (:>)

She is a cutie pie,...and I definately couldn't be mad for long when I looked into that sweet face.

Thanks for commenting on my 100 random things. I survive my allergy issues and they are much better now than they used to be since I avoid everything now that I know I am allergic to. But there are plenty of alternatives when I am cooking at home. It is just hard when I eat out.

I am so glad that you and Kristin are excited about going to church! I love church too. Worship, and music, and sweet fellowship!

We are in an over 5o group called the "Keenagers" at church, and we had a cookout tonight and it was great fun. I hope that you and Kristin can both find people to be involved with and really settle into a church family. And feel at home!

I think it is amazing, and wonderful,... that God is leading you two gals along step by step and bringing you both closer to Him,...and to each other.

Continued Blessings Sweetie!
Love, Mom (:>)

Elisabeth said...

what beautiful girls you have. Thanks for the comment on my blog, it was my first ever. I didn't know I had a comment until I looked at it today. I have to figure out how to get notifications by mail, I can't wait to order your hats their beautiful!
Elisabeth