Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Randomness

So I know I took a really long weekend off from blogging, but I'm back! I've been continuing to plug away on hat orders. What's been kinda nice as as result of it all is that I've been getting a ton of help from my Hubby. We run a pretty traditional household over here, so I'm usually the one who does all of the cooking/cleaning/caring for the children responsibilities. My hubby is a Carpenter, so at the end of most days he comes home very tired. Because work has been slow, he's come home early on several days this last past week. He's been helping me with laundry, dishes, and all the stuff he normally doesn't do. Let me just tell you something...I'm getting kinda spoiled, and I like it!!! It almost reminds me of the kind of help that I get from him right after I've just given birth. He handles everything, has me spoiled for about a week and then, before I know it, it's over! I appreciate all of his help and the help from my sis in law, Isabel, who took Alyssa again on another adventure out of the house this weekend.

Since I have a lot of time to think while I'm crocheting, I've really been thinking a lot about how Audrey will be turning one soon. I remember being so sad when Alyssa was right about 11 months too. I was always so anxious for her to do the next big thing when she was a baby, but right before she turned one, I had a huge meltdown. It felt like the entire first year had flown right by me. And I asked myself..."Where have I been this whole time?" I was in complete shock. It probably didn't help that it took a really long time to get back to feeling like myself again after she was born. When she turned seven months old I found out that I had Postpartum Thyroiditis, which later ended up turning into non recovering hypothyroidism. What that basically means is that my thyroid gland does not produce enough of the thryroid hormone that my body needs and I have to take daily thyroid medication. I am so glad that they were able to find out what was going on with my body, because after I started taking the medicine, I started to feel a ton better. I am praying for complete healing, so that one day I won't have to take the medication anymore.

On another note, to those of you who sent me your positive words of encouragement about us finding a new home church, I really appreciate it so much! I am embarassed to admit it, but fear totally got in the way and we never made it to church on Sunday. This coming Sunday I am purposing to do things differently...I'm going to start getting us ready on Saturday night, so that I can just get the girls ready and we can go. By the way, does anyone have any tips they can share on what works best on church days with small children? What service do you go to? Do you pack your children a snack or even a lunch for the ride home? I know I sound crazy but these are some of the things that I wonder about. I am a schedule freak, so stepping out of my normal routine is a little hard. Church is definitely worth the adjustment, but I guess I could just use a few tips. What works for you guys???



P.S. Just wanted to add that I want to wish my neighbor Rachel's little boy Aidan a very Happy Birthday. He turns two years old today!!!

5 comments:

Catherine Clare said...

Crayons and a small notepad work wonders with my 3 year old and 1 year old...also a couple of baggies of dry cereal is a great rescue for the mid service melt down for a snack! You may get lucky and even find a service that offers a nursery or Sunday school class so you can focus solely on the service. Good luck and I love your ribbed beanie by the way!!!

Stephanie said...

I'm nervous about starting the church thing with kids too. We've been out of the loop for years now and have got to get back in. I am going to just get brave and do it..finding one that's the right fit is so difficult though. By the way I haven't forgotten about the hats..I'm deciding on colors..so I'll email you very soon :)

The Burke's said...

Hey I just wanted to say Thanks for the birthday shout out for Aidan. We went to the SM Children's Museum and it was great. We're gonna have to go sometime! I jumped on to blog about Aidan's big #2 and 2 other people have already wished him a happy birthday. I'm a slacker! On the church thing, as you know we go for 3 hours and ours has nursery until they are age 3 and then there's primary. You might love it and you are always welcome to come since you already know some of the ladies! It's nice to get away from the kids for a while and just be a grown up. You are always welcome. You can start out with an hour and work your way up!

Anonymous said...

Church can be hard for us to get to as well, especially with my husband working two out of five weekends. I suppose it's just not an option for us not to go! This past weekend I had an extremely rough time getting out the door and I thought of your post. I usually give them all breakfast. Then I have the two oldest (ages 10 & 8) get ready themselves. I oversee my very picky 5 year old daughter (fashion diva) pick out her outfit. Then it's the 3 year-old's turn. I usually pick her outfit (and she's ok with that for now!). Somewhere in between there, I get the 3 month old dressed. Then it's my turn. I've tried picking out outfits the night before, but the fashion diva usually changes her mind! The boys can do that.
Molly Piper recently posted on this: http://thepipers.wordpress.com/
You'll have to scroll down a little.
Good luck! We've found that our Sunday School class is usually late in starting. Many of us have small children and the teacher understands that. Even if some walk in late, it's ok. We've all been there. Hoping for a good report this Sunday!
Sue

Christi said...

hello! i want to order a hat but cannot find your email address. will you please email me therauthsATgmailDOTcom? thanks!