Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Music

Okay...since I have a tendancy to talk way too much, I will try to keep today's post short and sweet. Here goes...

I love music. I can sing..well sort of. I am nowhere, repeat nowhere near professional status. I can pretty much carry a tune and sing without shattering any glass that may be nearby. When I was a little girl (a Pastor's kid by the way), my parents used to make my sister Dolly & I sing the "special" at our church more times than I can remember. What this meant was that the two of us would have to go in front of our little congregation and sing. We got good at learning how to harmonize together, and long after we stopped singing at church, we were still singing together in high school. What was really exciting was that during my senior year, (her junior year) we got to sing the National Anthem at all of our home football games and even at my graduation. It was so much fun. A lot has changed since then, but I still enjoy singing, just from the comfort of my own home and only in front of Hubby and the girls. And speaking of music...now that I am trying to start my life all over, and especially since Alyssa is getting older, and more aware of what's around her, I am trying to find good music for us to listen to. I will admit that I haven't been too enthused about Christian music in the past, but lately I've been finding myself searching for the Christian station on the radio while I'm driving my car. It seems like its gotten better over the last few years since I last tried listening to it, but I am interested in finding more R&B or Pop Christian music to listen to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I heard that Mandisa song on the radio the other day, called "My Deliverer," and loved it. I guess I never even realized that she sang Christian music. I remember her from American Idol but I am so out of the loop with t.v. because we don't have cable at the moment. Anyways, I'm going to keep on searching until I find some music that speaks to me...good music feeds the soul, and could defitinely use some soul food while I'm plugging away at new hat orders.

Speaking of soul food and the south, I want to give a big shout out to the great state of Texas. Although I have never been there (yet), I have received a ton of love (and hat orders) from several ladies from Texas!!! Just wanted to say thanks so much to you guys!!! Oh and by the way, thank you to the ladies who left comments for me yesterday regarding the church question. I do appreciate it!

Well, so much for keeping it short and sweet. I'll try doing that another day but I can't make any promises...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm not one to give you advice on music. I do sometimes find some Christian music that I like but I would love to find some more. I'll be anxious to see what kind of suggestions you get!

Christy said...

A great radio station to listen to while you're on the computer is http://www.ksbj.org/ The best of luck to you for finding a good one in your neck of the woods. :)
Blessings,
Christy

Mikea44646 said...

I connected to your Blog by chance and spotted the Christian Music and then the stay at home Mom comment on the side which I assume is the profile. I am new at Blogging -
http://mikea44646.blogspot.com/ - and so is my wife at http://crayargiros.blogspot.com/ .

My wife and I have often thought about having her stay home with the kids (we have 6) and in never worked out until now thanks to the economy. The older three are in College but the 13, 11, & 9 year olds are home. We are so grateful for this opportunity. We both work or both did work at “The Family Foundation School” (www.thefamilyschool.com) with troubled teens. Now my wife is helping our own childern with homework etc while she prepares to start her "Backyard Farm" - Chickes and all.

We too like Christian Music and here is a list of some of the artists and albums we have on our playlists:

Artist Album(s))
1)Alan Jackson -- Precious Memories
2)Various -- Songs 4 Worship: Shout to the Lord
3)The Blind Boys of Alabama -- Higher_Ground//Holdin' On//Spirit of the Century
4)Casting Crowns -- Lifesong
5)SONICFLOOd -- Resonate
6)Tennessee Ernie Ford -- Amazing Grace
7)Phil Joel -- Bring It On
8)Third Day -- All Albums -
such as: Conspiracy No. 5//Time//Offerings: A Worship Album//Third Day (title album)//Wherever You Are

There are more - particulary in the Country Genre but this might help.

Let us know if you like any of the music.

Kristin said...

Hi! I've been going through your posts tonight and I really think that we are same person, or something! Everything you are going through right now, I am going through! Fear keeps me from going to church too, even though I have a great desire to do so. Then, when I read this about you wanting to find good Christian music....I have done several blog posts on this subject lately, as I find out about more Christian artists. There are some really good ones out there, I'm finding out! Oh, and I'm from TX too! :)

So, I bought the 2009 Wow CD for Christian artists. It is really good. It's 2 discs, and that way you get to hear all the hit artists and see which ones you like. I also found I like Downhere, Leeland, Fireflight, and Addison Road. I found out this week that Leeland is from my town: Baytown! And they have a church here in town....that gave me hope for which church I should visit!

If you have time to visit my blog, I have videos posted of Leeland, Fireflight, and Downhere's songs and you can listen to them.

I'm so excited for both of us. It is obvious that the Lord has big plans for us, as He leads us on this journey! I look forward reading about where he takes you!!